The intensity ramps up in the second night of +ABC Television Network groundbreaking experiment, “My Diet is Better Than Yours”.
According to stateofobesity.org the 4 states with the highest obesity rate also have the most adults that don’t exercise.
The show’s fitness professional, Anna Kaiser, planned a grueling milestone challenge with contestants racing to the finish up a set of stadium steps…five times. We learned a 10-minute stair climb can burn as many calories as a 1-hour jog. Slow and steady wins the race for Jasmin and trainer Dawn.
The second fitness challenge was a full body workout that included frog jumps, seated crunches, spinning, and the medicine ball torture hold. Taj pushes herself further than ever before, burning 542 calories and wins the challenge with new trainer Jennifer.
The Five Teams
This week Taj uses her one-time swap and chooses clinical nutritionist, personal trainer and a self-defense instructor Jennifer. Her #StrongSafeandSexy is about feeling mentally and physically strong, protecting yourself and feeling sexy from the inside out.
The meal plan is gluten-free and pescatarian; eating only fish, eggs and dairy for animal products. Here are Jennifer’s tips for success this week:
- Eliminating gluten can reduce spikes in blood sugar levels and lead to increased energy and weight loss.
- To lose a pound you need to burn 3500 calories. One hour of martial arts can burn 600+.
- Stay away from farm-raised fish. Wild caught fish is clean, lean protein.
- While having a support system is key, it’s important not to let “life” affect your focus.
For Jennifer’s Strong, Safe and Sexy plan click here.
The #NoDietPlan is about changing the mindset by interrupting the pattern of negative thoughts, replacing them with positive ideas that work. Here are Jeff’s top secrets for success this week:
- Putting mirrors around your house, especially on the fridge, allows you to be accountable and see yourself clearly.
- Using chopsticks slows down your eating, giving you maximum metabolism of food.
- The color red signifies dominance, gets you excited and gives you energy for an optimum workout.
- Boxing can burn up to 600 calories an hour and helps decrease stress.
For Jay’s No Diet Plan, click here.
- Set goals to implement lifestyle change.
- A good program does not focus solely on the scale.
- Quinoa is a healthy grain substitute if eaten in moderation.
- Mozzarella cheese has 30% less calories than cheddar.
For more on the cLean Momma Plan, click here.
The Superfood Swap diet is taking foods you crave and making them with foods that are more healthy. Cut the chemicals, refined sugar/flour, artificial stuff and preservatives. Dawn’s tips for success this week are:
- Make green smoothie popsicles for a healthy snack.
- Food is more than calories, it’s protein that heals muscle & carbs that replenish energy.
- When going to a party, take healthy snack with you to swap out for high sugar snacks.
- A candy bar contains about twice as many calories as a cup of grapes.
- Running can burn up to 600 calories an hour.
- Jumping on a trampoline at a medium pace for one hour can burn 400-500 calories.
For Dawn’s starter kit and ebook, click here.
#TheWildDiet is eating fresh foods from healthy sources, high in fats and proteins and low in sugars and carbs. A 7-minute high intensity workout is all you need for optimum fat burning. Here are Abel’s tips for success this week:
- Make a survival kit to have with you that includes foods like tuna, sardines and dark chocolate.
- Chia seeds are high in protein and can last for up to 2 years.
- Almond butter has been proven to reduce cholesterol and makes a great veggie dip.
- Ketchup is high in sugar and has 10 times the calories as hot sauce.
- Dates make for a great natural sugar substitute.
- Find ways to incorporate exercise with family time for a win-win.
- Walk in a pool for great resistance training without being hard on your body.
- Five minutes of exercise in a green space can improve mood.
To order The Wild Diet book, click here.
Shaun T’s conversation with Jeff was a break-through moment for him and viewers alike.
So many of us get in our own way of success, and it takes some deep reflection and straight up honesty to figure out what’s really going on so we can deal with it.
Jeff says although he is invested, part of him wants to take the easy way out. It’s a constant fight, an internal dialogue every day.
The truth is, there is no easy way out. Shaun T dished him some tough love when he said, “There is no end to this journey until the day you die.”
To move forward, Jeff agreed to commit to focusing on the following:
- Eating correctly
- Working out at least once a day
- Changing his mind frame and get out of his own way
Watch “My Diet Is Better Than Yours” on ABC at 9/8c and let’s make 2016 our best year for great health!